This is what I’ve been working on ALL DAY LONG! All of these things went into the soup that we are planning on eating tonight. I pulled out my juicer that I bought some time ago, but never used. I put it to good use today. Here is the recipe:
- 1/2 cup dried split peas
- 1/2 cup dried beans (you can use any variety)
- 4 cups water
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 6-8 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 leek stalks, coarsely chopped
- 2 bunches kale, collard greens, or other greens, tough stems and center ribs removed and leaves chopped
- 5 pound carrots, juiced (5-6 cups)
- 2 bunches celery, juiced (2 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons Dr, Fuhrman’s VegiZest of Mrs. Dash
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms (shiitake, cremini, and /or oyster), chopped
Place the split peas, beans, and water in a very large pot over low heat. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the onions, zucchini, leeks, and kale to the pot. Add the carrot juice, celery juice and VegiZest. Simmer until the onions, zucchini, and leeks are soft (about 40 minutes).
Remove 2 cups of the soup liquid, being careful to leave the beans and at least half of the kale, in the pot. Using a high-powered blender or food processor, blend the soup liquid with the cashews. Return the creamy mixture to the pot. Add the mushrooms and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the beans are soft.
Note: Freshly juiced organic carrots and celery will maximize the flavor of this soup.
So this is going to be ready shortly. I will try to take pictures and post and let you know how it is! Oh this serves 10 people!