Oh my goodness! I just made THE.BEST.BEAN.SOUP.EVER!!! And I’m so proud of myself, I made it all up. I could not wait to blog about this, even though it’s late and past my bedtime!
I started off yesterday with some dried beans like in the picture above. You can buy these already mixed like this in the dried beans section (next to rice, I believe). They are packaged like that with a recipe and spices for soup. I threw away the spices and opted for fresh veggies instead. Let me (hopefully) come up with a recipe:
- 2 cups dry bean mixture
- 1 quart Swanson’s low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 2 green bell peppers (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 3 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 1 quart tomatoes (drained)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/8 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
Soak the beans in water overnight. Drain and rinse. Place the beans and vegetable stock in large pot. Bring to a boil. Add chopped veggies, garlic, tomatoes and spices. Simmer on low for about 1 1/2 hours.
This would be great paired with some brown rice!