OK, so my carnivore of a husband is totally not cool with the idea of nixing meat from his diet. We both like being healthy, and even though I choose not to eat a ton of meat, I want to make sure he has tasty, lean options to garnish salads, wraps, or burritos with.
Ever since we’ve been married (2 years next week!) I have searched cookbooks, the internet, and friends’ recipes for a great Mexican chicken recipe. Alas, this was all in vain (I’m kinda picky with my chicken) until I finally decided to brave it and improvise a recipe for myself. I was so glad that it didn’t require any oil!
- 3 lbs lean chicken breast (I just bought a frozen bag at the grocery store.)
- 1 can low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 limes
- 1 dash of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package of McCormick Chicken Taco Seasoning Mix
Granted, the ingredients in this spice packet are things I could have thrown together (Onions, Garlic, Tomato powder, Jalapeño pepper, etc.) but this was just so much quicker, and tasty as all get out!
- Place all of the chicken breasts into a skillet/frying pan. Combine with chicken broth, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add 1/2 package of the seasoning mix.
- Grill seasoned chicken (I seasoned the opposite side of the chicken with the seasoning mix) into a lean-grilling machine. I used my George-Foreman, but any grilling doohickey will do.
- Slice chicken into bite sized strips or chunks (whichever you prefer) and enjoy!
For extra protein, add these babies to a huge salad. 🙂