This is what we had for dinner last night. Amber gave this a name: “Fuhrman Burrito.” It is so delicious and filling too! The hardest part of this is assembling all of the ingredients. There tends to be a bit of prep time, but it’s all worth it once you take that first bite. Here are the ingredients, and then I will go through the prep.
-red cabbage (for crunch)
-100% whole wheat tortilla
– black beans
1. The first thing I do is get the brown rice cooking. That takes the longest. I usually use my rice cooker, but a stove works fine too.
2. After I get that started, then I work on the black beans. I like to spice these babies up a bit. I open a can (or use some that I have previously soaked) and put them in a pot on the stove. I like to add a little water with that. I also like to add chopped fresh onions, garlic powder, and a sprinkle or two of ground cumin. These need to simmer (to soften the onions and meld the flavors together) while you are preparing the rest.
3. Next comes the guacamole and salsa (if I don’t have any in the refrigerator already). Check out my previous post for instructions on the guac and salsa.
4. Place the tortillas in foil and heat these babies up in the oven. I usually put the oven on 200 and heat them up for 15 minutes.
5. Finally I prepare the veggies: wash and tear the lettuce, shred the red cabbage, chop the green onions and cilantro, warm up the corn.
Now I’m ready to assemble the burrito. I place the tortilla on my plate, then put some brown rice and black beans. Next, I just start adding the veggies that I want and top it with homemade guacamole and salsa. Roll it up and enjoy! Oh my oh my oh my!! DELICIOSO!!